Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Mets v. Cubs: A Retrospective

Yesterday I managed to get out of the house, and found myself at Wrigley field to watch the Mets take on the Cubs. I had a good time, despite spending the game in a cloud of 6th graders, most of whom didn't seem aware that there was some sort of contest happening on a nearby field. I also didn't get the blues when the Mets walked away 8-1 losers. Here are some thoughts on the game, by position:

Mets pitchers: Nelson Figueroa, a brief feel-good story to distract us from the feel-bad story of Pedro and Duque's health- was exposed by the Cubs good lineup. He looked in control on the first go through the order, but my nervousness mounted in any inning after that. He was lucky to let in only 3- it could have been a lot more. Then, after Smith and Schoeneweis tag-teamed through the evening innings, Jorge Sosa was brought in to guide us to the night. Sosa stayed in way too long. By the time he was out, the game was effectively over, because he gave up a grand slam to Ronny Cedeno. Heilman warmed up, but didn't come in. Was Willie saving him for a game he thought the team might win?

First base: The Cubs ended up winning by 7, but 5 or 6 of those runs were allowed to happen because of close plays at first base, both of which could have been avoided with some good D. With two outs and the pitcher batting, the Mets, mostly Figueroa from my replayless look, botched an awkward tapper to first. The next batter knocked in two with a single. Later the Cubs were up 4-1 with the bases loaded and one out in the 8th. Groundball to Reyes at short, who gets the force at home. Catcher Casanova swings it to first, but the runner is barely safe (he may have even been out, but it was really close). That would have ended the inning, and had Reyes gone to 2nd instead of home, he probably would have gotten both. Instead, up came strutting Ronny, who gave it a good whack and heard the cheers.

Second base: I’ll be honest. I love Wright, Reyes and Beltran, but I miss Edgardo Alfonzo, John Olerud and Mike Piazza. I think, since the acquisition of Roberto Alomar, the Mets second base situation has not been right. We could use another corner guy who can smack the ball around, but what I would really love is the second coming of Alfonzo. He was the perfect 2. He played a great second base, he had average speed, he could handle the bat beautifully, and he hit for power. He made a lot of Met leadoff men look good as long as they could get on base some of the time. Hitting third was the wonderful stoic professional named John Olerud. My favorite Olerud story isn't a real story, just a moment in time described by the Times to start an article: John Olerud and Al Leiter taking a cab to Shea (though Olerud actually took the train a lot of the time). Leiter was his usual hyper self, verbosely explaining his plan for the first and second times through the lineup. I imagine Olerud, quietly, almost spookily engaged- like how I imagine Calvin Coolidge. While Leiter chatters and gesticulates, Olerud is simply there.

I read somewhere that the Mets had signed Edgardo Alfonzo to a minor league deal. I hope he starts at least one game for the professional ballclub this year. Maybe a whole series. It will be a healing ritual for the Mets second base situation.

Third base: David Wright is my favorite player. I haven’t had a real favorite baseball player in a while. I also love Reyes and Santana, but there’s just nothing not to like about Wright.

Outfield: The Mets offense, outside of the big 3, was exposed. With Ryan Church out of the lineup, and Delgado something of an unknown quantity at this point, the Mets lineup felt like three really dangerous hitters excessively cushioned by a bunch of guys who might hit a single. What it would take to get Jason Bay? What kind of contract is Boras going to try to get Texiera next season? F-Mart is really still a year or so away, right? Church, Delgado and Alou can all help, but question marks linger. The bottom of the lineup just doesn’t put a lot of pressure on opposing pitchers or punish them for taking them lightly. This makes the big 3 easier to handle.

The crowd: I have learned much about energy, especially human energy since the last time I went to a live baseball game. I could palpably feel the energy of the crowd, and I took a moment to channel it toward a cause or two that I deemed worthy. I don’t know if I did a lot, but I do feel confident that I did a little.

No comments: